So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

U.P.: up

So, I’m all caught up with the references from the previous episodes. Thus, I am in the process of reading my first episode “in tandem” with the annotations. Such a richer experience of course, a source of context, the notes serving as an anchor of sorts. Either that or a life preserver. I’m about halfway through Episode 8, Lestrygonians. Since I’ve started reading the annotations, my old “one-episode-in-a-single-sitting” rule is totally out the window. So much more to read.

Here’s a few comments:

1) The phrase “method to the madness” is from Hamlet. It’s from an aside Polonius makes concerning Hamlet’s seemingly bizarre behavior. I like finding the origins to stuff.

2) This section has the famous “U.P.: up” note to the character Breem. According to the notes, there are numerous theories as to what this may mean, but nothing authoritative. This happens every so often in the annotations, where they’ll say something like “no known reference” to what appears to be an obvious reference to something. Imagine that. Maybe I’ll quit my day job and pursue a Master’s in Literature based on one of these “loose ends.” It’ll be fun.

3) Lots of Irish historical references in this section. It’s like a history lesson within a fictional narrative. Add another one to the list of things that this book “is.”

1 comment:

  1. The meaning of U.P. is, of course, Upper Penninsula which is: "up" in northern Michigan. This also, of course, is utterly irrelevant. XXX000

    ReplyDelete