So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Listening to Long Lists

Joyce includes some really long lists in Episode 12, such as names of people, or places, or things. Interestingly, I sometimes find myself reading these lists out loud so as to feel their rhythm. It seems to work in that it makes the words more real somehow. I’m not sure what the greater meaning of including such long lists in the text is, but I think my instinct here is good. What is the role of the reader and how are they expected to participate? Is this book meant to be heard? Perhaps. It is true that one of the more popular activities on Bloomsday is to participate in a live reading of the book. Maybe I’ll check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment