So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And...Begin

Well, here’s the book. Although mainly a library guy, I figured I’d buy this one because 1) it gives the project a little more weight if I drop thirty bucks and 2) I plan on thoroughly defacing the thing with written comments and such. So, let’s begin. To start out, I’d like to post a positive quote and a ominous note:

A positive quote:

“‘Tis the good reader that makes the good book.” – Emerson

An ominous note:

“The demand that I make of my reader is that he should devote his whole Life to reading my works.” – James Joyce

Seriously dude?

2 comments:

  1. Well --- I "began" last night and I may need to fall into the category of a bad reader. I read a few pages (2% of the work according to Kindle) and it already, literally, turned my stomach a few times.
    As to your second quote -- no way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindle should die!

    And I love the Everyman publications. they always have a nice feel.

    ReplyDelete