So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Saturday, January 23, 2010

So Here We Go....

Okay everybody, so here goes. Stick with me here as I am about to try something kind of different, a fine project bloated full with literary pretention and nerdyness. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible (sky’s the limit here folks). Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

The blogging here will, I’m sure, end up all over the place, which seems appropriate given the topic. However, in some way, I want to consistently use this blog to relate to the book and to place it firmly in the context of a middle-aged American dude looking for meaning in the year 2010. Certainly don’t look for any sort of expert (ha!) analysis and/or detailed literary dissection. I guess I just want to enjoy the thing and figured that this blog could help. So expect some pretty atypical comments as I move through the text, with some “alternative” interpretations (at best) and embarrassingly incorrect analysis (at worst). So be it. If you don’t like it then you can just take your ball and go home.

So let’s get this party started! Check back often for updates as I plan on posting often and most importantly, wish me luck! Hidey-ho!

"I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day." – James Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just testing this out. Great blog dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Nerdieness is spelled with an ie.

    ReplyDelete