So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stream of Consciousness

So, stream of consciousness. Great stuff, but takes some getting used tooo...wait, this O key on my keyboard keeps getting stuck. Damn keyboard. Pushbutton keys. Antiquated. Stuff of the ages. I should upgrade this damn thing. The whole lot. Boat anchor. Phrase from the 90's. Did anyone ever really use a computer as a boat anchor? Wouldn't really work that well. Damn keyboard doesn't work that well either. Upgrade. But I need money of course. Moooolah. More antiquation. Needs to buys the new computers he does. Use the money from the job. Ah, money from the corporate machine. Suckling from the corporate teat. Must have more....

Sorry about that. Anyway, I meant to say that the end of Part I really gets going with the stream of consciousness thing. It takes a bit of getting used to but after a few pages it works okay. I think the trick is just to let it roll over you while paying attention as best as you can. You have to let it pour through your brain, like, I don't know, a stream or something? Reading as thinking, it's cool to consider the three "players" at work here in, for example, the scene of Dedalus walking on the beach. We are each forming our own "reality" (I think I overuse quotes...and parenthesis...and ellipses...oh well). His thoughts, my thoughts trying to follow his thoughts (my thoughts on his thoughts), and perhaps most significantly, Joyce's thoughts, framed by the narrative. Each of us working it out, trying to understand what is before us. The faux reality of the beach for Dedalus, the blank page taking up the words from the pen for Joyce, and the published book, all these years later, splayed open on the table before me. How strange! All of us playing together like that, each one weaving our own stream of consciousness, at once both juxtaposed and separate?

No comments:

Post a Comment