So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Episode 15, Circe

So I just finished Episode 15, Circe, and let me tell you, it’s all over the place. A bit of a mess really. Written in play script format, with stage directions and such, it is basically one long dream sequence, with very little “real time” content (a quick side note: Circe is the longest episode in the book and, as such, made for quite a long read). Honestly, it was a chore to get through it with all the jumping about. As far as the content of the episode goes, it was easily the most salacious and scandalous episode so far, and it is no wonder that this thing was banned upon its initial release (I found it pretty racy even by today’s standards). So, I have determined that we need to add another theme to the pile: human sexuality (yes, I am suggesting that this is an entirely separate theme from the aforementioned theme of Love). This episode is chock full of all sorts of subtle sexual innuendo, overt sexuality, sexual relations, and full-on descriptions of sex acts. Yipee! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, seeing how it mostly takes place in a brothel and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment