So What's, Uh, the Deal?

Welcome to my blog on James Joyce’s Ulysses. Yeah, I'm actually serious. Over the next four months I plan to finally read all of James Joyce’s Ulysses and blog about it in every way possible. Why? Because I have always wanted to read this much hyped and heralded book. Why not do so with the added support of a blog? Also, it could turn out to be kind of fun, right? RIGHT?

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Verbose Verbosity

So far, the writing style in Episode 16 is quite verbose. For example, the following sentence (I am making this up) “Smith walked drunkenly down the street” would become (I am also making this up):

“In so far as his leaden, inebriated legs would oblige and given the circumstances of the hour, aut viam inveniam aut faciam, Smith directed his meanderings and diversions in as much as was reasonable given the jocularity of the relations he had endeavored to cultivate as related to and borne up from the ivre mort celebrations of the day, and given the mode of transport available in that most late of hours.”

Scary thing is, I am kind of digging it. God, I am such a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment